Welcome
 About Us
 Accommodation
 Our Facilities
 Weddings & Parties
 Around the Area
 Mercaston Residents
 Mercaston Produce
 How to Find Us
 

About Us

The village of Mercaston can be found in the Doomsday Book. In the 14th century Nicholas of Kniveton married Joanne of Mercaston. His connections with John of Gaunt and the hunting lodge in Ravensdale Park added to his standing. A superb brass, circa 1475, may be seen on their tomb in nearby Mugginton Church.

 

sheep

 

 

Mercaston is referred to as a township on many occasions, obviously being somewhat larger than the hamlet of today. In 1655 Sir Andrew Kniveton sold Mercaston to Sir German Pole of Radbourne and the Hall became a tenanted farm, to remain under the care of the Webster family until the 20th century.

 

 

 

Much interesting social history has been uncovered by the families associated with Mercaston Hall. As well as the Knivetons and the Websters this includes others who have lived and farmed in the Hall - the Mason family, the Naylors, the Burtons (who bought the Hall from the Chandos Poles) and now the Haddons.

fireplace.jpg